Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spag Sauce

Now, no-one needs a recipe for Spag Sauce - but it's top-comfort-food of millions and as we had it tonight I thought I'd put an entry in. There's no need for a reipe but here are some offerrings of Thoughts on the Subject of Spag Sauce.

  • As a personal preference, I like to soften the onions and then whizz them with the tomatoes - I think it makes the sauce a bit more inclined to stick to the spag.
  • Please don't 'hide' vegetables in the sauce. Carrots don't belong, as far as I'm concerned. Ratatouille with mince is not my idea of spag sauce. It's just not right. If you want your family to eat more veg, give them some fruit to start with, or some crudites with a nice dip, serve them summer pudding for afters, give them a fruit shake, anything  - or just have a different dish. (O.K., re-reading this, I may have been a bit extreme. Very finely diced carrots, in moderation and cooked very thoroughly, are pleasant and add to flavour. It's when harrassed mothers use it as a cloak for sneaking in several bus-loads of vegetables that simply don't belong there that I have an objection).
  • If you have very young clientelle, it's a good idea not to brown the mince on putting it in. If you mix it in raw when you've (as above) whizzed the onions and tomatoes, it'll not form any of the mincy-lumps that toddlers don't like at all, and will be ingested more readily.
  • Plenty of herbs, plenty of tomato puree, plenty of wine, and plenty of bubbling. Spare not on the bubbling. And don't leave out the wine on account of small children - by the time it's bubbled down there's not a trace of alcohol left but the taste is infinitely improved, which can only lead to better culinary education of the young.
  • Reasonable quality mince is I think the best. Gourmet super-lean stuff just tastes too aggressive and doesn't give enough comfort on the grease front. Super-cheap rubbish at 25% fat is just disgusting. Standard run-of-the-mill workaday mince is the best in my opinion.
What are your opinions on Spag Sauce?

1 comment:

  1. I have been eating the wrong spag sauce for almost 70 years now! Not only do some italians put carrots in their sauce but also celery and garlic besides the onions, must depend on one's taste, Hope I have not poisoned anybody, I feel quite guilty.

    ReplyDelete